|Sat 25||Sun 26||Mon 27||Tue 28||Wed 29||Thu 30||Fri 01|
Opening hours and admission fees
- Open Tuesday to Sunday, from 10am to 5pm.
- Galleries close at 4:45pm.
- Closed on Monday (except for most Bank Holiday Mondays).
- Open on 3, 5 & 6 April, 4 & 25 May and 31 August.
Admission to permanent collection and most temporary exhibitions is free. Charges may be applied to special tours and events, check them here.
Free guided tours
Free guided tours of the museum are held every day at 12:30pm.
- on Tuesdays & Fridays: Collecting Treasures tour,
- on Wednesdays & Saturdays: A Journey Through Landscape tour,
- on Thursdays & Sundays: Highlights of Art: Impressionist and Modern Art tour.
Just book your place at the Information Desk on arrival!
National Museum of Cardiff
Photo credits to National Assembly for Wales via Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Tips for your visit
Avoid visiting the National Museum of Cardiff in August: that’s the busiest month.
April is the second busiest month, followed by February and October.
The calmest month in the museum is September, there won’t be any queues. June and July make another good period.
Saturday is always the busiest day of the week. Avoid it if possible: choose a weekday (especially Thursday or Friday). If choosing between Saturday and Sunday, consider that Sunday generally sees twice less visitors.
Avoid public holidays and school holidays : autumn and summer half-terms are extremely popular. If you would like to visit the National Museum of Cardiff at this time - check on the official website if the Museum is open on Monday (it remains open on most bank holiday Mondays). If yes - that will be the least crowded day of the week!
- On foot: The Museum is a 20 minutes walk from Cardiff Central Bus and Train Station.
- By bus: National Museum stop (routes 36, 51, 86, 95) or City Hall stop (Baycar number 6).
- By train: The nearest train station is Cathays Station, approximately 5 minutes walk from the Museum.
- By car: A Visitor Car Park, including dedicated spaces for disabled visitors, is situated behind the Museum, off Museum Avenue.